The University of Washington Huskies won their first NCAA National Championship last week at Eugene CC. Coach Mary Lou Mulflur (who I also played for) won the title after 33 years of coaching the program. If you missed the Golf Channel’s coverage, I highly suggest watching the replay. It was some of the most intense, thrilling and nerve-racking golf I have ever observed.
Here’s what we can learn from the DAWGS:
- 99% of competitive golf is heartbreak, failure, hard work, grit and tears. It’s the other 1% that makes it all WORTH IT!
- ANYTHING can happen in match play.
- FUN Under Pressure. Enjoying the process, the struggle and the grind pays off. (Thank you Assistant Coach David Elaimy for making that happen).
- “Over night” success often take 3 decades.
- SHORT GAME. SHORT GAME. and. . . more SHORT GAME.
Congratulations again to the 2016 Univ. of Washington Women’s Golf Team. Thanks for the inspiration!
(Below) Flash Back: The 1997 UW Husky Team (my Senior year. . .yes, I’m that old!) at the NCAA Regionals in Tucson, AZ after winning a playoff to earn the last spot into the NCAA Finals. Lining up a put at the final round of the Edean Ilandfeld Husky invitational to shoot 65 at Sahalee CC. Great memories!